Today we released a very limited run of Service Boots available in both Black and White Painted Horsehide. The leather is from the famous Guidi & Rosellini tannery in Italy, which is known for their unique tanning processes and finishing techniques. This heavyweight horsehide came to us with a thick, painted on finish. After some experimentation we decided to remove some of the painted layer, giving the boots a unique distressed appearance. After cutting the upper, each piece was steamed and then wet sanded by hand. The completed boot was then given a heavy coat of beeswax to help preserve the remaining finish and to restore the moisture lost in the process. We avoided using metal eyelets or a rubber outsole to keep the details as simple as possible and to highlight the complexity of the leather. With wear the natural vegetable tanned horsehide will darken and patina, while the remaining paint continues to chip away. The entire run was limited to 10 pairs and will not be available again. Click through for some detailed photos of the manufacturing process.
A couple of months ago we shot some photos of the Viberg factory, office and retail space to accompany an interview we did with the New York based online publication
Last month we participated in our first ever North American trade show. We shared a booth at Liberty Fairs inaugural Las Vegas show alongside our friends from Nigel Cabourn. We displayed our sample boots amongst an edited selection of Cabourn's Spring 2014 collection, including our upcoming collaboration. The show was a great success as we managed to introduce our brand to several North American and International stores and connect with some old friends and colleagues. Click through for more photos of the booth and some of our upcoming offerings.
In preparation for our Spring tradeshows, we recently decided to distress a single Service Boot sample to take with us as a prop. We wanted to see how quickly, and to what extreme, we could speed up the aging process. We used a lightweight Italian Calfskin for the upper and a full leather sole with hobnails in the heel. It was soaked, bent, tied up, and left to dry in a burlap sack. The result is a weathered, mouldy boot that looks more like it was excavated than manufactured just a few weeks ago. Exactly what we had hoped for. Click through for a run down of the whole process.